When I first arrived I met friends of a friend. These friends own a office supply store where I will occasionally go, drink tea and talk. Through these friends I met the owners of the restaurant next store. And through the owners, I met two ladies who make Kayseri mantısı, a small pasta that slightly resembles ravioli.
Last week I ran into one of the mantı makers on the street. We chatted briefly and then went our separate ways. I ran into her again in the grocery store on Friday. Again, we chatted, I asked her how to use a type of herb that is sold here, she asked if my parents live here and then proceeded to tell me to stop by anytime. Later, by the cash register, she told me to stop by again. I thought, sure, I can stop by sometime in the next week or so maybe. Often at first glance it's hard to tell if people really want you to stop by or if they are just saying so because it's the thing that is done. She had told me where she lived and I had told her where I lived, we said our good-byes and I left the store with my purchased groceries.
I was making green beans on the stove a while later when the doorbell rang. Low and behold, she was at my door...with food. She kept apologizing for coming and I kept saying that it was no problem and thanking her profusely. She thought that since I live alone (although now I have one gal staying with me for two and a half weeks and two more coming after that, so not really alone) and a student whose parents live half-way around the world, I might need some food.
So I guess I'll be visiting her after all. I need to return her dishes. And they need to be returned full.
No comments:
Post a Comment