
Recently I was listening to a recording from a lesson I had a while back. Typically I listen for words, for grammar, for phrases and terminology. Today I stepped back and just listened. (Wow, to be able to do that!) I realized that this place has much to teach me about friendship.
For so many years I've treated most of my relationships as, well, an excuse to drink coffee or go for a hike. We go out, we have a good time and that's pretty much where it ends. We go back to our separate lives and back to our separate problems.
In the recording, my language helper was explaining the proverb "dost kara günde belli olur". You have a friend, or you think you have a friend. You do things together. You eat together. You have fun together. You send text messages back and forth on a daily basis. And then the dark or kara day comes. Your sick. You need money. Whatever it might be. You call your friend. You ask for help. The response? I have work... The answer given when you just don't want to do something (or, sometimes when you really do have work). So now I know. Is this a dost (a best friend), a friend, not even a friend? Not a friend.
Over the past year friends have come to my rescue. They have helped me buy new televisions, have gone with me to the bank, they have lent me telephones, they have helped me get my visa extension, they have laughed with me, cried with me, exhorted and admonished me. What have I done? May I love my sister..."Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God for God is love" (1 John 4:7,8).
Hey Cathy,
ReplyDeleteI recall a conversation with someone that put things into perspective for me.
In conversation I called her "friend". She politely stopped me, smiled and said,"you really think we are friends? I think we are more like aquaintances."
It set me back, not knowing what to say but it did make me think about how I use the word in relation to my relationships.
I like the Turkish saying.
I think I will have to type it out and put in up on my fridge....right next you your photo.